Saturday, February 1, 2020

The Super Bowl and Why I Watch It


Yes, I know it looks brutal because it is and people bet and lose money they shouldn’t have and the half-time shows are beyond my threshold of endurance and owners are selfish and largely conservative and militarism and phony patriotism are on display and who really gives a damn??  And yet……

It is a distraction from Trumpian politics of deceit and predetermined outcomes. At least the game cannot be hacked by Putin, influenced by Mark Zuckerberg or subverted by Mitch.

Football taps into my reptilian brain dating back 40,000 years to Uncle Igor or Otto who thought they had to defend their cave by scrimmaging in the mud with the cave across the river.

I can sit on my couch and pretend that it matters while the players pretend that they care. As a history buff I can relive World War One when trench warfare and a few yards won the day. Fans have a knack of growing fangs for a few hours and identifying with their team if they win or disidentifying if they lose.

Exercising our lungs and exorcising our rage every now and then cannot be a bad thing. Freud, I think, would agree. Sports are a human drama unrehearsed and un-rigged. Nor will the team with most points be declared the loser, overturned by some archaic electoral contrivance.

For those of us who understand the game, football is the most brainy, most analytical of them all with volumes of plays to be memorized and countless strategies and assignments for each player on the field. It is chess with stretchers. The game will be won as much by the coaches who have devised defenses against their opponent as by the uniformed men on the field.

I almost forgot the huddles. Imagine all the Brotherhood that brings.

Sort of like a junk food and drink-Thanksgiving enough to make us crapulous. It is one of the few communal experiences shared across the spectrum though I prefer to watch it alone. It shall be my time to confront the mystery of life where rationality doesn't reach.


1 comment:

  1. I really loved this one, Norm. You hit the nail on the head!!

    ReplyDelete