Tuesday, April 23, 2024

Pits and Seeds

 I was a farmer once,

not tilling the back forty

but I nursed a grapefruit pit

I had planted in a pot on the window sill.

After a season of not over-watering

I had a bumper crop of green leaves.

At least that’s how I want to remember it.

 

I gave up agricultural husbandry

around age eleven never quite knowing

a seed from a pit until now.

Pits are in watermelon, right? Wrong.

Those are just big seeds pregnant

with embryos like poets on the verge.

Pits are the stones in peaches or plums

protecting the genius of the burst.


As for that grapefruit on the sill

it has taken me eighty years

to get my head out of the rind

from the pits to the seed.

 

And when the cymbals clang

or the phrase wings in

through the wall, through the noise,

it is a seed as in the citrus, 

music dripping with juice.



No comments:

Post a Comment