Tuesday, July 2, 2024

Loving Trump

Now that I have your attention…………….

I seem to remember how the poet Allen Ginsberg suggested we learn to love Ronald Reagan or, at least, find the Reagan inside ourselves and embrace him. Ginsberg led a poetry group at Naropa Institute in the mid-eighties in which everyone was asked to finish the poem with an opening line, I’m going to vote for Ronald Reagan because……………. My underwear is on backwards, said one student. Because my pen is running out of ink, said another …or because a squirrel came into my room yesterday.

Sorry, Allen none of these work for me with DJT. It’s a bridge too far.

I wonder if Ginsberg, ever the Buddhist, would preach the same message today. However, reaching for our interior Trump might require many hours of chanting to the wall in a loin cloth while inhaling massive doses of some intoxicating incense. We would also need a new set of gongs.

I wonder if Ginsberg thought Hitler was also lovable. True, Adolph did a great impersonation of Charlie Chaplin. A psychotherapist might praise him for not repressing his aggressive impulses. Go ahead, Adolph, get it all out. He appreciated Wagner's operas and was said to be a fair painter. Perhaps all he needed was an affirmation here and there.

Coming back to Trump, under deep drug-induced narcosis I'm trying to embrace the shadow side of myself. Maybe I, too, ran with scissors but I got over that in pre-school.

Now I’m reusing an uncancelled stamp and parlaying those three cents into a shopping mall and hotel where I act as a slumlord evicting poor families. Of course, the property I buy is on the Atlantic City Boardwalk …but that was all in a Monopoly board game where I found my true habitat between Baltic and Mediterranean. Yes, I love you for that, Donald, revealing the primordial greed and avarice to myself.

And yes, I probably insulted some ball players during the game with trash talk. But it was all from the couch yelling at the T.V. set. Thank you, Donald, for legitimizing my infantilism.

Is that enough? I feel myself coming back from the slime of my reptilian brain. Now I must take a very hot shower. Is it really fair to presume that we all have particles of Trump DNA infecting our soul? And if so, must we descend to our own underworld and learn to love it? No, but perhaps it is useful to own it as a cautionary note … and then grow up, gain some measure of enlightenment and compassion.

It’s too easy to demonize Trump as if he’s a visitor from outer space. The truth is he displays an aggregate of ignorance, arrogance, mendacity and malice, rarely seen in one individual, particularly in a public official. all human deficiencies most of us have outgrown and repudiated.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment