Saturday, August 15, 2026

Remembrance

Five years ago today, Peggy died. I'd rather celebrate her on her birthday, not her death-day. Yet here it is and I cannot let this day go without a small remembrance. She said Yes to life in all its offerings. Even in her dying she made of a dirge, a rhapsody. 


 Andalusian Epistemology


Don’t go away. This is not about

anything Andalusian or epistemology.

It is just the punchline of a joke

Peggy and I used to share.

And now I can’t remember the joke.

We used to say those words for the sound of it,

for the polysyllabic stumbling of it all,

for the numbing pretentiousness.

It became a private expression which loses

everything in translation.

I want to ask her to remind me

where it came from

and where the choreography

of our dailiness has gone.

Two, she said, is a sacred number.

Her radiance still lights my way

through this long-night city.

 

2 comments:

  1. I love you, sir. I too remember her on this day, as you might imagine, I think of her everyday.. we were blessed to share her in all her emanations. She gave us love and love. How fortunate are we!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love back. You had for yourself about 33 years and we've had her ever since. As Peggy and I used to say,
    One has to be willing to be lucky.

    ReplyDelete