Sunday, June 14, 2009

Much-Maligned Salami

In its time salami was practically a staple. At least no less so than bologna or pastrami; part of the cold cut mix which I was sent to purchase at our local deli along with cole slaw and potato salad. This was in pre-history when people took Alka Seltzer for dessert disbelieving that they "ate the whole thing."

Over the eons we took a closer look at salami; not only at its ingredients but what held it together and preserved it. Then we broke down it's fat content, its cholesterol etc. Under closer scrutiny salami didn't stand a chance. The sodium nitrate alone sent us running.

I have now given salami its second act. Never mind the 140 fat calories and the smidge of trans-fat.

Consider this: no carbohydrates. The quick snack for that ever-swelling army of pre-diabetics
searching to fill up on some protein without consequences on their glucometer.

So hail Salami. Perfect with eggs and/or cheese ... all zero carbohydrate foods. As for the plaque it is famous for I leave that to my daily dose of statins.

Besides, it feels good to bring back a food so long driven to exile. I welcome salami to my plate as a prodigal food once thought to be good for nothing like some old friend who fell into disrepute 65 years ago and has finally found a measure of redemption.

With a PhD in salami a trained palate can discern whether it hailed from Milan or Naples or any hill town between. I'll just stay home with my Hebrew National All Beef version and live forever.

2 comments:

  1. You've given Salami a whole new meaning. It just jumped from my "No-No" list to my "Must Have"items.

    My taste buds thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The most frequent treat of my brown bag years (ages 12-18) was a big greasy kosher salami sandwich with yellow mustard (who ever heard of dijon?) on Russian rye bread and I was far from alone among my school mates in consuming this lunchtime glory.
    AS a remedy for diabetes however it raises some doubts. Diabetetics (even the pre-s) are told not only to reduce their carb intake but to keep their weight down. Will consuming fat help avoid avoirdupois? Admittedly, it has, so far, in the case of our author but for the average pre-d, recommendations of protein and highly colored veggies are probably more appropriate.

    ReplyDelete