Saturday, January 7, 2023

Un-Googled

I Googled myself the other day and discovered that I do not exist. I know I've been losing weight but I didn't realize I had disappeared. Maybe I died and it slipped my mind. But if that were the case, whose teeth was I flossing this morning?

Indeed, there are pages of imposters having taken my name when I wasn’t looking. I think of them as my generic equivalent. At one time I counted seven Norm Levines in the San Fernando Valley. One of them was my customer. I coveted his orange sweater. Another Norm Levine was a pharmacist. I hired him for one day back in 1968. I couldn’t handle the two of us side by side.

The Norm Levine impersonators included a man who entered a marathon and approached the finish line from the wrong side. I admire him for thinking outside the box. Another one sold knives at gun shows. I suppose that’s a step in the right direction. Then there was a man who I braked for on a highway in the Catskills. He was an antiquarian bookseller using my name. I blessed him and moved on. 

Flying under Google's radar takes a special skill. I ought to lecture those in witness-protection programs except I don’t know what I didn’t do to go unmentioned. I suppose if I won the lottery I may get noticed but that would entail buying a ticket which is out of the question. 

Perhaps I have moved on to my next incarnation. as a fly on the wall. Though my preference is to first be a fly in gazpacho soup swimming the backstroke.  

Since I am a certified man of no importance, I imagine there must be thousands of us. We are among the rank and file, the extras in a Cecil B. DeMille epic, the also-rans, the uninvited party-crashers whose attire blends in with the sofa. We have achieved anonymity.

I remember disappearing around age 8 or 9 when I got lost in a sea of beach umbrellas at the beach. I was rescued by a lifeguard who swam the Australian crawl in the sand to reunite me with family who probably didn’t notice I had dematerialized. Then, in a pharmaceutical chemistry class presided over by a proto-fascist professor who delighted in humiliating students I managed to disappear behind some extra large body.

I have had about fifty poems published in literary magazines but all of them before the world went digital. Count that as prehistory. I wonder if those Greek playwrights thought of themselves living in minus time.  

I don't suppose loving friendships register on Google. My eleven hundred blogs also do not ring Google's bell. I expect when my name does appear on the obit page old friends will say, Gee, I thought he died years ago. In the meantime I can report that being disappeared by Google is only a flesh wound and it's not terminal. 

 

2 comments:

  1. A lovely meditation - thank you! Back in the wild west days of the internet, I was proud of the fact that every "David Cohn" on the first page of Google results was me. These days, I'm more than happy to have largely disappeared from that page, though I continually forward email erroneously sent to me to all my respective doppelgangers across the country. We actually exchange notes now with our respective forwards, and I'm on the Holiday card list of a couple!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's very funny. You can organize a convention of namesakes. I have a doppelganger I met about 15 years ago. Different name but also a pharmacist in the San Fernando Valley with profound disregard for the profession. Also with a daughter named Lauren and a graduate of the same high school plus we subscribe to the same periodicals and our fathers graduated from the same college a year apart. When he itches, I scratch.

    ReplyDelete