Sunday, June 9, 2024

Some Words On The Fly

There he goes or is it one of those floaters

roaming the outskirts of my eye?

He’s my personal fly, a meta-vision,

possibly a preview of my next incarnation.

I can let it loose like a fly on the wall

who has tales to tell if only he could

or that one where the customer calls the waiter over

to complain about the fly in his soup.

I’ll stay with the one on the wall even if

this fly is enjoying his backstroke in tomato bisque.

It’s a short span for either one dodging swatters.

Flies are not fleas but life flees in any case.

Amazing what you find out in the course of writing.

I just looked it up and fleas don’t fly they

don’t even have wings but they jump a lot,

sort of like words, those little black squiggles.

Back to flies, Trump has trouble with his.

I know this from my observation point on the wall

listening to his bumbling blather.

There goes another one.

I might be better off as the fly in the ointment

raising necessary havoc

from where I’m perched here on the ledge

salivating over the fruit bowl

which can use a bit of blemish and bruise

as I’m famous for in Dutch still-life, 

portrayed on a pear or petal as death itself. 

Not very flattering given our mission in the ecosystem

to feed on aphids, clean up decay and pollinate.

Where have all my floaters gone? 

Could be impaled on that jagged 

right-hand margin of a poem.

No comments:

Post a Comment