Thursday, December 16, 2021

Looking Back

These are the days designed for year-end letters and list-makers. Those among us with a knack for packaging life, wrapping it up and shelving it for easy retrieval.

Peggy was a world-class lister. Into her pad went every book read, movie seen, play performed, even every friend. Of course, poems written got a book of their own. I’m sure the origin of this need must have its deep psychological roots but who am to list them?

Not too many years ago I could list my ten best films of the past twelve months. Now I can’t remember if I saw that movie this past year or if it was three years ago and besides, I’ve long since been unable to rattle off ten of anything.                                                                              

I could dazzle you with my three favorite vegetables: asparagus, cauliflower and beets. But what about eggplant? Yup, they’re good. And yams. I never met a yam I didn’t admire. I almost forgot spinach and then there’s broccoli and corn and everything I throw into my salad.

The point of all this is, why bother? There is no hierarchy of veggies or fruits. Or pies. Or actors. Or art. Or Olympians. Let them all take a bow. No losers. Allow them an occasional wobble or bobble. Life itself has no straight lines. Give them all an exhibition, a metal and a first-class ticket home. 

I cannot quite leave this year listlessly. Here are a few offerings I leave you with.

Best place to resettle if the Repugnants win the next 2 elections: Portugal, Slovenia, California, only if we secede.

Preferred gadget or appliance to explain to visiting aliens: Ice cube tray.

Best novel of which I have read 22% according to Kindle: The Promise by Damon Galgut.

Proudest horticultural achievement: It’s been three months now and my orchid is still happily wagging its tongue.

Best resolution for next year: Resist making lists.

2021 never will be missed. Four months ago, Peggy left me, us, this world. The void is unfillable. I’m consoled by her spirit evidenced in so many she touched. In the diminished light she always found what is luminous in our midst.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

3 comments:

  1. Beautifully written.
    You always sitright at the juncture of intellect and emotion

    ReplyDelete
  2. Many thanks to you both. I had never thought of my writing in that way and I appreciate the way you put it.

    ReplyDelete