Saturday, July 30, 2022

Equipoise

When she let me in front of her in line,

cart full to overflowing

with this and that

and mine with no that and only

a single this, her generosity

brought a glow to her face

as if I had done her a kindness

the way my seemingly dead orchid

sprang to new life overnight,

after drinking three melted ice cubes,

its purple tongue wagging.

 

I’m holding on to these moments

to place on one side of the torsion scale

with scruples and grains on the other

as I used to do in the pharmacy

but now I am seeking a measure

of balance as a prescription for myself

on this enormous scale

with the weight of war, malice and neglect

pressing down as I try to stay in equipoise.

 

2 comments:

  1. Isn't that just the strange way the gift of kindness works - that we are enriched by giving it? As always, thank you for these worlds of wisdom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exactly, In giving we are rewarded. I certainly found that to be the case in caregiving. It was an opportunity to find a new dimension to a loving relationship.

    ReplyDelete